Fat-shaming. It’s not cool, and it’s not funny. But do you know what is? When celebrities bite back with the most ah-mazing responses to questions about their weight.
Get ready to feel all the mini fist-pumps with our round-up of the best celebrity comebacks after being criticised for their body shape.
1) Jennifer Lawrence was once asked about her ‘pre-Oscars diet’. And what did she say back? ‘What the hell is a DIET?!’, she responded. Love.
2) Remember when Karl Lagerfeld called Adele ‘a little too fat’? Well, the 27-year-old had something to say to the Chanel designer. ‘I’ve never wanted to be a skinny mini with my t*ts out. I represent the majority of women and I’m very proud of that.’ YES Adele.
3) Mindy Kaling: by being called fat or ugly than they are by being called not smart, or not a leader. If someone told me that I was stupid or that I wasn’t a leader, or that I wasn’t witty or quick or perceptive, I’d be devastated. If someone told me that I had a gross body, I’d say ‘Well it’s bringing me a lot of happiness.’ Like, I’m having a fine time of it. Having my priorities aligned like that has helped me have a happier life.”
4) Demi Lovato came out of rehab for bulimia back in 2011, and guess what? Yep, she was immediately bombarded with mean comments about her weight. Cue, fiesty, amazing Demi. ‘I’ve gained weight. Get over it. That’s what happens when you get out of treatment for an eating disorder. Guess what, I’m healthy and happy, and if you’re hating on my weight, you obviously aren’t’, she tweeted.
5) Lady Gaga doesn’t care about your thoughts on her body, and she’s going to make sure you know it. When asked how comments on her weight gain affected her self-esteem, Gaga replied: ‘Well, you know… My self-esteem was fine. It was everybody else’s problem. I didn’t have a problem with my weight. The world did.’
6) Lily Allen was attacked by Katie Hopkins on Twitter for putting on weight when she became a mother. And Lily’s response was both humbling and epic. ‘Yes, after tragically losing a child so late into my pregnancy I may have gained a few pounds. I am one of many that find comfort in food. The two pregnancies that followed were terrifying because of what happened before and I was pretty much on bed rest for 20 months. I wasn’t exercising because I didn’t want to take any risks and, funnily enough, the survival of my children felt more important than being thin.’
7) Kelly Clarkson also felt the wrath of Hopkins’ tongue after she openly called her ‘fat’. And Kelly had a gloriously concise reply for all her body haters. ‘Screw ’em.’
8) Remember when Kim Kardashian was pregnant with North and was subjected to a slew of magazine covers comparing her to a whale? Yep, she remembers too. This is what she had to say about it. ‘Anyone who has had a baby knows how your body totally changes. Making fun of me pregnant and making fun of me trying to lose weight now, shame on you. Im not perfect but I will never conform to your skinny standards, sorry! Don’t give young girls a complex.’ Amen, honey.
9) And then there was Anna Kendrick, who reminded us all to bear in mind one thing when we start comparing ourselves with celebrities.