Need a happiness boost? We're here to help...
In partnership with Pearl Drops
Sometimes, the world can feel pretty horrible.
But we’re all about positive thinking here at LOOK, and we’re here to prove that not everything about this planet is as depressing as the news sometimes makes it sound.
Here are some downright lovely facts that’ll make you feel instantly better about the little sphere we call home. Get ready to smile…
1) Cows have BFFs
And according to scientists, they get stressed when they’re separated.
2) We’re getting more clever
On average, intelligence has risen the equivalent of 20 IQ points since 1950. Can you even imagine what we’ll be inventing in the future? We’re thinking that revolving wardrobe from Clueless…
3) The actors who voiced Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse were married in real life
Yep. Wayne Allwine (Mickey) and Russi Taylor (Minnie) had a love story all of their own. And it makes our hearts melt.
3) As we get older, we get happier
Giving us even more reason to look forward to the future.
4) Penguins mate for life, and they propose by giving their partner a pebble
Puffins and sea horses are also in it for the long haul.
5) Smiling is innate, not learned
Blind people smile naturally, even though they’ve never seen anyone else do it.
6) And human babies are the only primates who smile at their parents
We’re so glad they do <3.
7) Otters hold hands when they sleep so they don’t drift away from their group
8). During the Christmas Truce of 1914, German and British soldiers came together to play a game of football in the ‘no man’s land’ between trenches
You’ve probably heard this story before, but it’s one worth remembering.
9) Scrubs‘ J.D. and Turk are best mates IRL
Making Zach Braff and Donald Faison’s scenes together that bit more special.
10) And even when times are rough, Ant and Dec will always be around on Saturday nights to cheer us up
They better be, anyway.
12) We’re actually all made of stars
The elements that we (and everything around us) is made up of were formed from collapsing stars.
13) A good cuddle really can make you happier
Hugging increases your body’s levels of oxytocin, also known as the ‘feel good’ hormone. But you’ll need to brace yourself for a long’un, i.e. 20 seconds or more.
14) A couple invited the Queen to their wedding for LOLz, and she went
When John and Frances Canning found out Elizabeth II would be in Manchester the day of their nuptials at the city’s town hall, they wrote a ‘spur of the moment’ letter to Buckingham Palace inviting her to pop in. She did.
15) Your lucky charms actually work
When a person believes something is lucky, it can spur them on. In a study at the University of Cologne, people given a ‘lucky’ golf ball made 35% more putts than people with a standard one.